A brief history of DeBell Golf Club
Joseph A. DeBell was a philanthropist, developer, humanitarian and California pioneer. He owned hundreds of acres of land that extended into the foothills of the Verdugo Mountain wilderness.
Golf Photo GalleryIn 1954, Mr. DeBell tended an offer of property to the City for the golf course. As of 1956, the City’s acquisition of land by means of gift, purchased and eminent domain amounted to approximately 1,008 acres.
In 1958, construction commenced for the 18 hole golf course (DeBell). The 18-hole "DeBell" course at the DeBell Golf Club facility in Burbank, California features 5,633 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 71. The course rating is 68.8 and it has a slope rating of 114 on Kikuyu grass. Designed by William F. Bell, ASGCA/William H. Johnson, ASGCA/(R) Richard Bigler, the DeBell Golf Course opened in 1959.
The original clubhouse, built in April 1970, had served its economic life and was functionally obsolete; therefore, an effort was undertaken to replace the building with a more updated and modern building. The total estimated cost to complete the new clubhouse in 2006 was $8 million.
On January 5, 2009 the newly renovated DeBell Clubhouse was opened to the public. The Clubhouse, which was designed in a craftsman style, features an art piece sculpture of a golfer in bronze commissioned by local Burbank resident Sheila Cavalluzzi. In addition to a newly renovated clubhouse, the DeBell Golf Course celebrated its 50th year anniversary as a Burbank Municipal Golf Course in June of 2009.